Michigan Adaptive Sports
Annual Membership Meeting
December 3, 2011
Membership ballots – got about 30 ballots
Movie – over 300 people attended. Don’t have any numbers for the funds earned. Kurt miller trying to find sponsors for MAS volunteer clothing. Something will be done this season – hope we can find a sponsor. We had the biggest turnout for the movie viewing. We wish we could have more time to promote. If we could do it next year, we could do a lot of promoting.
Another movie was in Traverse City – we net $80. There was a Grand Rapids movie as well…..
Disabled Sports USA – another movie – is this something we are interested in?
New logo to be used though Disabled Sports must be used by January 1st. Can we use the old logo as our MAS logo? Not supposed to…
Where does the logo need to be changed? Coats? Facebook? Website? Letterhead? Banners? We shouldn’t use anything new with the old logo. We think we can keep our own MAS logo and the logo only needs to be changed to DSUSA for DSUSA items.
Trailer – discussed the issue of the up north towing to events. We need to explore options of who can tow and who is comfortable driving and currently we will explore storing it at OATS to make it a more convenient location to Pine Knob. We should ask them if park at Pine Knob.
Lets put it out on Facebook or our website that we need a volunteer to offer to tow and deliver. Jennifer will put the call out on the website and Dave will be the point of contact. Carol will ask Steven Wright if he is going to Crystal. Chris also suggests asking for summer events drivers and the actual boats and jetskis too.
Membership drive took us from about 60 members to about 130. We got about 4000 in donations and memberships. Craig suggests at every event we have membership “drives” with a form. Paul Beany entering the memberships in the computer. We need to print the membership list before the first ski event.
Sue will be in charge of memberships for summer. Joy will be in charge of memberships for winter. Anyone else that receives membership documents or checks must give them to Sue or Joy.
Joy will be responsible for the annual membership drive. We will do the next one around October 1, 2012.
Anyone that volunteers or sends a donations goes into our database, even if they are not members.
Gordons Food service gives us food tax free – we need to renew documents with them.
Steve sent the 5013C paperwork to an attorney friend to help us.
- Note on FB and website asking for volunteer for driving/towing trailer – Jen Hoffman (12/10/11)
- Note on FB and Web asking for Marketing committee head – Jen Hoffman (12/10/11)
- Note on FB and Web asking for Fundraising committee head – Jen Hoffman (12/10/11)
- -Lee talk to Kevin Mitchell explaining need for Fundraising committee head –Lee LaChance
- Check with bank about credit card versus debit card – Dave Henry (1/3/12)
- Review 2 check signers – Dave Henry – (1/3/12)
- Dave determine where he wants bills and checks to be mailed – Dave Henry (1/3/12)
- Divert some of the mail and then have mail from po box forwarded – Craig Millard (1/15/12)
- -Action items list to be sent as separate email to all committee and board members – Joy Courtney 12/6/11
- Finish phone set up – Matt (12/10/11)
- Finish thank you’s and change letterhead – Sue Boeve (1/15/12)
- Talk to Paul Beany about setting database/access and syncing with MAS computer – Craig (12/8/11)
- Get Disabled Sports USA to change contact person to Carol and Jen – Carol (12/10/11)
Michigan Adaptive Sports
December 3, 2011
We need to vote for board members.
Members voted for following internal reference
Jennifer Hoffman - VP
Joy Courtney – Recording Secretary
Carol McEllhiney – Luster – Head Winter Committee
Sue Boeve – Internal Communications
Dave Henry – Treasury
Chris Gabalis - Board Member
Craig Millard - President
Jill Ellison – Summer Committee Head
Lee LaChance – Voting Member
Mail – Craig picks up the mail. What is going to the mail box? Where should it be redirected? Craig needs to start reviewing/screening the mail to determine address changes that are necessary.
Banking – supposed to have 2 signers for checks. Right now bank allows one signature to sneak through. Dave might check with the bank to see if there is something that could be added as a safety.
Credit Card – Winter committee doesn’t really need a credit card. Summer committee probably needs a card. What are the advantages of having a credit card versus a debit card? Who would hold this? Dave will talk to a bank for advice.
Paid secretary – do we need one? Right now we would love to have one but can’t afford it. For now we are going to work harder at distributing work to volunteers.
We still have some gaps where we need a marketing committee head, and a fundraiser head. We need to meet more often too….
Next Board Meeting – Tuesday, March 20th at Woodbridge group – 6:30 pizza, 7 pm meeting. Meeting ends promptly at 8:30.
Agenda for next board meeting –
- review action items
-follow up on 5013C
-focus on Fundraising
-winter wish list
MAS meeting notes
February 22, 2011
Carol Roubal Mitchell
Official Call to Order – 7:00pm
-Reviewed minutes from last meeting:
PSIA already happened. Was a big success.
Last meeting established committees and already had meetings. Jobs were divided. Had 38 people attend the Dec 4th meeting.
Posting meeting minutes – should we post online? Will put on the website. Keeps everyone in the loop. Carol suggested an email notification to tell people that the minutes are up on the site.
Sue suggests committee section on the Website so that emails don’t have to be sent for everything.
Lee suggests all the committee reports also get posted on the website. It helps people who are interested may volunteer for a task.
-Phone – still a big issue. Possibly trying to find a landline phone that offers information but message can’t be left. Maybe allow people to leave message in mailbox and warn them we only return once a week or just leave a message that gives our email address.
-Paid secretary – need funding. This is most likely a decision for the Executive Board. Focus now should be to get jobs done with volunteers. Discussion back and forth about pros and cons of using a paid secretary. If we could find someone internally it might be a benefit – someone that would stay in the role. No one other than Marge is paid.
-Nominations – will be sent out in the Fall. Needs to be followed up and followed through. We can’t wait until the last meeting. We will create a new committee called “volunteer committee”. Nomination committee will fall under this committee. Will follow contact info for everyone, help with volunteer awards, volunteer retention. Lee will post on the website that we need a committee head for the volunteer committee.
-Website/Email/Facebook – we do have an email address which is email@example.com. Our website address is www.michiganadaptivesports.org. Jennifer Hoffman/Craig Millard following the email. Craig is administrator on Facebook and others also post messages, statuses.
-WINTER SEASON -Carol Luster gave update on the Winter Season. Volunteers worked hard. PSIA clinic got really great feedback. PSIA training will be every other year. Carol will also do a PSIA clinic in Iowa – everyone is invited! A clinic will also be done at Mad River and maybe Boyne in December. October/November Blizzards invited us to train with them. Carol very excited about this. Not everyone has to be “certified” but need to train in some way. We had a lot of “stand up” skiers and need to figure out how we are going to handle in the future. We were really full and couldn’t have had more skiers. No incident reports!
-INTERNAL COMMUNICATION COMMITTEE – Sue Boeve is committee head. A big task in the first meeting was going through the job slips. The committee divided the jobs into lists. Sue passed out a list of the jobs. Some of the tasks perhaps belong under a different committee. Paul Beany was working on the database. Important part of the committee, Paul had lots of good ideas. This committee will meet the 3rd Tuesday of every month. We need more people on this committee. People that are willing to commit and contribute. Sue has had a big learning curve – who does what, who can answer questions? The database should be the top priority!!!
Lots of discussion about Thank you notes. Trying to determine which committee is responsible for Thank you’s. How to do them? Carol Roubal Mitchell will provide a list of thanks you’s needed and a sample for the thank you notes to the PR committee. Carol did the thank you’s as needed perhaps PR committee can make a sort of schedule. For example, winter thank yous can go out before summer season starts etc. Each Committee Head and Board members needs to make a list of thank you’s that needs to be sent. This list needs to be brought to the next meeting to give to the PR committee.
Not only does the database need to be updated, but other data needs to be contained on the MAS computer. Someone needs to control the computer and all of its information.
How do the committees communicate across the committees to share ideas/tasks/etc.
Dave suggested that on the website we make some thank you’s to some of the groups that support us like Pine Knob, etc. Everyone thought this was a good idea.
Craig needs to put something formal on the website with the committee heads and contact info.
-PUBLIC RELATIONS COMMITTEE – Nancy H and Jayne U gave the update. The most pressing issue was the press releases. Wanted to make people aware of Pine Knob and the volunteers. Next priority was to make a flyer for businesses. Jenna got sick and so some things slowed down, but so much has already been done. Some radio announcements for Schuss and Crystal were made. Brochures: Steve G brought a sample of a brochure to use. He strongly suggests that we use this as an added fundraiser. Trifold that Jennifer made will be sent to the PR committee. Jenna Huskinson’s (PR committee head) name was not listed on the committee list. Jenna’s email is firstname.lastname@example.org, her phone is 810-569-0599. Jayne Uber’s email and phone number is email@example.com 810-599-6016.
Woodbridge is making some banners for MAS that are more portable and easy to bring to events. Steve G. Suggests someday that we sell advertising for logos to go on our banners.
-FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE – Steve Gabalis gave an update. He brought a sample brochure – talks about levels of sponsorships, what sponsor gets for contribution, etc. Steve suggests that we should use our database. He is told there is about 1,000 people on the database. He strongly feels that everyone should become members and should contribute. Need to do a membership drive to the database using the brochure. We are working on a 501C3 number. Mark, Chris G. And Kevin are working to apply for the 501C3 license. They will submit for license within the next two weeks.
Sportstacular 2011 will happen. A meeting date needs to be set. (always the weekend after Labor Day).
SUMMER COMMITTEE – Jill Ellison will be kayak coordinator. Kevin will do skiing. Still need a Summer Coordinator. Kayaking is the last Friday of June, July, August. Improvements like name tags, bibs. Hoping Kevin makes a guideline document for the skiing. Kevin suggests a small committee meeting/volunteer training – maybe do it at Pontiac lake and combine with kayak training. Suggest doing a half day clinic create on last Friday in June. Sue suggests people pre-test in the pool to allow to get in the water faster. 3rd Saturday in May (5/21) to do equipment exchange. Kevin wants to push to get as many people as possible to participate in the equipment exchange to see how much work it is…. Lee says one way to help this is set a certain day/time every year . Exchange back to winter in October. Summer committee needs to get registration forms out by April. Will use Facebook for blast updates. Should they require mandatory prepayment to keep cancellations from happening. Kayak instructor training – sometime in May. Lee/Jill will get more information. Think about “Quake on the Lake” as an advertising/fundraising/participating event.
Committees should schedule meetings to continue to progress.
Next Administration Meeting is Tuesday, May 17th at the Woodbridge Office at 6:30.
Financial Committee – Does there need to be a committee just for finances? Some tasks don’t really fall under other committees.